Sunday, September 8, 2013

Toe-Shoes Tina: The Art Of Running In The Rain



Distance:  2 miles (after a 90 minute boot camp)
Pace:  Don’t know
Heart Rate:  Don’t know
Wine consumed:  A few glasses with dinner and the Great Gatsby

Every weekend I’m in town, I do a 90 minute boxing/kickboxing boot camp on Saturday and then again on Sunday (one of which I will soon have to give up for long runs).  The boot camps are usually brutal, but they make me feel like I can go eat a whole cake, guilt-free.  This past Saturday, I arrived at the gym and opened my gym bag to discover I was missing a toe shoe.  Ruh roh.  How was I supposed to run?  I did not want to tear holes running in my expensive Injinji socks, so I first tried a few laps in flip flops.  I was terrified I would trip and fall and they made an annoying THWACK with every stride.  So the next lap, I ran barefoot.  Several abrasions later, I determined true barefoot running is for people tougher than I.  Unable to reach a full lung-burning sprint in flip flops or bare feet, I felt a little cheated (by myself, not the instructor) after class.  



This little gal is still missing her sole-mate.  Have you seen him?  There will be an awesome reward, and by awesome, I mean wine.  

On Sunday, I showed up with my backup pair of toe shoes, but then nobody showed up to teach class.  I stepped up to the plate and led the group through what I hope was a really good series of circuits (thanks to my friends KO Kennedy and M for pitching in as well).  But I did not have them run because it was pouring outside and I did not want to cause a mutiny my first time teaching.  I did the workout along with the class and was underwhelmed by my cardio.  The amount of sweat on my clothing said it was a good workout, but I never reached that "heart thumping out my chest" feeling that I associate with killer cardio. 

I drove home in the steady rain, regretting that we didn't run.  73 degrees and rainy is actually the best running weather Phoenix has seen in awhile.   So when I got home, I thought “why not squeeze in some extra cardio?” and set out for a run in the rain.  The rain made me fear for the safety of my electronic devices, so I left my phone at home (separation anxiety, anyone?).  This meant I had no MapMyRun and, worse, no music!  I’ve read articles and posts by running purists who insist that to truly run, you need to focus on your running, breathing, form, etc. rather than distract yourself with music.  I am decidedly not a running purist.  I need music pounding my eardrums into deafness to distract myself from the pain.    

"What do you mean I can't have music on this run?"

It turned out to be not as bad as I expected.  I did an easy two mile loop.  My neighborhood has a lake (man-made, but beggars can’t be choosers) that is normally bustling with dog walkers, kids, joggers, bikes, etc.  There was no bustle today.  I passed two kids paddling an inflatable raft up the lake, but otherwise I had the place to myself.  The rain dampened the neighborhood sounds; all I heard were (1)  the tiny splashes as raindrops hit the lake, (2) the pitter-patter as I ran under big, leafy trees, (3) my own quiet, but slightly squishy footsteps (because I run on my mid-foot, I actually make dainty, light footsteps rather than clomping), and (4) my own rhythmic breathing.  I went fast enough to make my breathing hard, but not enough to hurt.  The rain made everything look so green – rare in the desert. The two miles flew by.  It was as close to Zen as I have ever gotten during a run.  It was just nice.  Too bad it rains approximately 5 days a year in Phoenix, so I may have to wait awhile before I can do this again.  Maybe I’d be a better runner if I lived in, say, Seattle.  


That is some beautiful desert running weather rolling in.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share