Thursday, August 22, 2013

Toe-Shoes Tina: Muscle and Grit

Good news, I did not cry in the dunk tank.  Upon arriving, I changed into my bikini and realized I haven't shaved my legs in 3 days. Uh oh, would tiny air bubbles cling to my leg hair and make me more buoyant (which means fat in hydrostatic weighing)????  No time to fix it now!

The trainer made me feel better, telling me my scale was wrong and that such devices had up to a 20 percent margin of error.  He was only mildly amused when I pointed out that meant I could possibly be 52% body fat.  He thought I'd definitely be below 30.

Hydrostatic weighing is no joke. The tub looks like an elongated hot tub (but much colder). You lie face down on this cradle, blow all your air out, dunk your head under, and continue to blow air out until the guy administering the test taps you on the leg, signaling you to raise your head.  When you do so, you gasp for air like you are Uma Thurman and John Travolta just stabbed you in the heart with epinephrine to save you from an OD. 
(My nose was not bleeding, but my makeup was running)

Here is a video of guy explaining hydrostatic weighing and then doing it to himself.  He is not as gaspy as me.:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QslL-PqOs2s.

I did this 4 times and heard "hm, you're lighter in the water than I thought you'd be."  Light=buoyant=fat.  Eek!  Upon getting dressed, I was greeted with a printout showing I am 26.5 percent body fat.  With my activity level, the printout further informed me I could eat 2,500 calories a day to maintain my weight.  Wine, anyone?

On to Vo2 max testing.  This allegedly measures your fitness level. I say allegedly because it told me my level was only "fair." (I've done it twice before and scored above average.) What the WHAT?  No!  This was the test I was supposed to KILL!  The trainer told me not to worry too much because it was a submax test as opposed to a max test.  He said I can use it to pace myself for long runs.  According to the printout, my heart rate should be at 130-140 for the long distances.  Um, so I should walk?  How is that possible?  I know my heart rate is much higher than that on my distance runs. I guess I push myself harder than I should and really underestimated my grit.  Or the test is wrong.  Just like my stupid scale. Yeah, that's it. 

To reward myself for 4 hours of fasting (empty stomach for weighing), I went to my favorite vegan restaurant and ordered a huge green salad.  Now I can drink 1,000 calories of wine (except that I have parent teacher night at school). Tomorrow it is.  

               NOT WINE *sad face*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share