Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Slo Jo: Interval training and loaded chips


Today’s Run: 6x800s (on treadmill)
Wine Consumption: 2 glasses at happy hour with A., Copain Pinot Noir, Anderson Valley, 2011

I’ve been reading this book, “Run Less, Run Faster.” Well, by reading, I mean I skipped to the chapter that detailed the three runs per week that are supposed to provide faster results through less training. This is a program developed by the Furman Institute of Running and Scientific Training (“FIRST”), that claims studies have proven more focused and fewer runs produce better results than endless miles pounding the pavement.

Sounds good to me. Less running? In.


(So that's what the cover looks like. After getting a Kindle, I never know anymore.)

I mentioned this program to Toe-Shoes Tina, and she said, to my surprise, we were doing the same training program. Who knew? We had independently discovered it. Both of us are trying to make time for other sports (me cycling, her boxing), so three runs/week is more palatable than five. Oh, and we both have day jobs. There’s a description of the marathon plan here: http://www.wu.ece.ufl.edu/marathon%20training-first%20marathon.pdf

Anyway, the first run of the week is supposed to be intervals, and there is a chart showing you how fast you should run your intervals depending on your typical 5k time and how long your intervals are. For me, called Slo Jo for a reason, I figured I needed 33 minutes for a 5K (I know--I’m doing my best), which translated into 10-minute 800-meter intervals. I decided that was too slow for my intervals and increased it to a breathless 9:30 pace. It was not TOO bad, especially because there are 90-second walk breaks in between and the intervals only took 4:45 each. I kept telling myself, “Just three more minutes. Two more minutes. You can run for 45 more seconds, you slacker.” And I did it on the treadmill at a 1% incline watching So You Think You Can Dance, which is better than running outside in Phoenix in 110 degrees. 


(Seriously. I watch these talented dancers and think, "Really? You can't run another quarter mile?")

I was cheating a bit because part of the idea is to pace yourself, and the treadmill does it for you. But if the FIRST people in South Carolina would like to come visit Phoenix in August, then they can be the first to criticize me.

(The reward for my efforts: lovely lovely wine.)

How was the wine, you ask? It was pretty good. They have wine on tap at Windsor. And we ordered something called “Loaded Chips.” I’m pretty sure they had zero calories. And that is one reason I run.

Slo Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share