Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Slo Jo: The Heart of a Champion (or Unfit Person)

Distance: 9 miles
Heart rate: 173-ish
Weight: Not talking about it.
Wine consumption: 2 gl. at dinner with Indian food 

Today was the weekend long run with Coach starting at 5:30 a.m. We were supposed to go with B and F. At 5:30, B texted that it was raining and she wasn’t getting out of bed. F texted that she thought the run was starting at 6:30, not 5:30. This is what happens when you start the run so early. People don’t think it’s such a great idea when the alarm goes off.

It was still dark at 5:30, leading to this conversation:

Coach:  Wait, I need to find my sunscreen.
Me:  You don’t need sunscreen. It is the middle of the night.
Coach:  Where are my sunglasses?
Me:    Have you noticed it is pitch black out and raining?

The focus of today’s nine-mile run was my new heart rate monitor. I bought this as a birthday present for myself—it is a Garmin Forerunner 110 watch with a heart rate monitor. 

(This is not my arm. I'm less veiny and muscular. And am a girl.)

Turns out I have a ridiculously fast heartbeat while working out. Or maybe all the time. We walked from the car to the stoplight, and it was already 93 bpm. Coach’s was, like, 12. Then we got to play this game for 9 miles:

Coach: What’s it at now?
Me:      168.
Coach:  Mine’s 131!

(half mile passes)

Coach: What's it at now?

I never won this game.

Coach informed me that I shouldn’t worry—what mattered was how fast my heart slows after I stop exercising. Was that true? Seems like my rate is pretty fast. (Note that it is faster at a moderate pace for a long slow distance run than Toe-Shoes Tina’s was for her all out one-mile sprint.) What if I have heart disease?

So I did a little research. Traditionally, people use a formula that takes 220 minus-your-age to come up with a heart rate maximum, and then you train at a percentage of that. So my max would be 180, and I'd be training at 75% of that, or 135. I'm quite a bit higher. But according to some pros, this formula is “notoriously inaccurate.” http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/10/health/nutrition/10BEST.html  

In fact, the formula was devised in 1970 by physicians who culled data from different studies to find a maximum heart rate—but these were not meant to be a representative sample of the population. They drew a line through the data and determined that for age 20, the heart rate maximum average was 200, and for age 60, it was 160. Although it was clear a maximum heart rate could vary widely depending on the individual, people took it as gospel. One of the physicians who came up with the formula said to the New York Times that the formula “was never supposed to be an absolute guide to people’s training.”  http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/24/health/maximum-heart-rate-theory-is-challenged.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

That article also says, “Heart rate is an indicator of heart disease," said Dr. Michael Lauer, a cardiologist and the director of clinical research in cardiology at the Cleveland Clinic Foundation. But, he added, it is not the maximum that matters: "it is how quickly the heart rate falls when exercise is stopped.

(I tell Coach. He says, “Isn’t that what I said?” Dude, I know. I’m allowed to consult other sources.)

What to conclude? I will just keep an eye on it, hope my heart doesn't explode, and watch to see if the rate decreases over the next months as marathon training gets serious. And then there is this:

(My wine glass would likely have several more EKG rhythms in it.)

Red wine contains resveratrol, which is supposed to be good for your heart. I will now, without evidence, conclude that my awesomely fast heart rate is directly related to my wine drinking. I tried to find an article on Google to support this theory, but it appears studies are lagging in this area. If scientists need people to study, however, I know a whole lotta lawyers.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share