Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Toe Shoes Tina: Scaredy Cat Seven

Distance:  7 mile tempo run
Pace:  8:43
Wine consumed:  1 glass of delicious malbec


I am, yet again, traveling for work (anyone sensing a pattern here?).  This time I’m in Albuquerque for two days.  Two of my Albuquerque co-workers are runners, so I asked for advice on where I could safely run a 7 mile tempo run near downtown on a Tuesday morning.  My friend, Soccer Star, does not often run in this area, so she deferred to our other co-worker, Trail Runner.  He was nice enough to go to the trouble of printing me a map (which is evidently quite hard to do because everything is meant for phone apps these days) and give me a 7ish mile route taking me up a multi-use path along the Rio Grande.  Soccer Star and Trail Runner confirmed there are no bears in Albuquerque and Trail Runner assured me that the run should be safe, so long as I finished by midnight on Friday (to which I replied if my run was not finished by midnight on Friday, I’d have bigger problems than the neighborhood).   He told me the path would be populated by bikers, runner, dog walkers, etc.  Cool.  He then mentioned that it was totally an anomaly that downtown Albuquerque had a random rape/homicide in the middle of the afternoon a couple years ago.  Not cool.  

(Not so much the ideal scenery for a solo run.)

Just after 7:30 local time, I texted Husband #1 I was running and that if he hadn’t heard from me in an hour and a half that he should be worried.  I began my route.  Thanks to Trail Runner’s clear instructions, I easily located the paved multi-use path and headed north, as directed.  Soon, I lost sight of the city and was surrounded by nature.  Beautiful nature:  trees changing into bright autumn hues, idyllic streams, ducks, all that jazz.  And the 12-foot high chain link fence topped with barbed wire that ran along the path about 30-50 feet to my right, effectively blocking me from re-entering civilization.  Oh, and contrary to Trail Runner’s representations, there were no people.  None.  For very long stretches I was the only human in sight.  A little tidbit about me – my favorite genre of books and television (other than The Biggest Loser, of course) is crime mystery/drama.  Because of this, I know that my current situation is often how such stories begin.  Now, in fairness to Trail Runner, I was probably never in any danger, but that is easy for him to say because he is (1) a faster runner and (2) a man.  I kept my music low so I could hear mysterious rustling in the bushes and ran on, imagining the parade of horribles that might wait around the next bend. 

(This was what my running route looked like.)

(Or this.)

About 2 miles into my run, a roller blader came whizzing by from the other direction.  He had a ski cap on and had his collar pulled tight up around his face (oh, yeah, it was 48 degrees and I was the only one out without my winter gear on).  A couple minutes after he passed me, I looked behind me and noticed he had turned and was coming back my way.  This was the only human I’d seen in over 5 minutes.  Oh my god, he knows we’re alone and he’s coming back to kill me!  I immediately start planning my escape.  On wheels, he is faster, but not if I go off the pavement.  I can dash through the brush and into the stream, hopefully losing him on the other side.  And he is a slight fellow, I probably have 15 pounds on him.  I can take him!  Sh#$!  What if he has a weapon?  I hadn’t considered a weapon.  I decide to flee through the stream.  I need a running partner!  Why didn’t I beg Soccer Star to run with me???  I’m ripped from my thoughts by a woman’s voice: “passing on your left.”  The roller blader whizzed by me again. This time I saw her braids and realized my would-be assailant was simply a woman out for a leisurely skate.  Crisis averted.  This is how miles 2-5.5 of my run went.  I managed to survive numerous imagined threats. 

(I evaded hidden murderers because the odds were ever in my favor.)

By the time I got back to the area where I entered the path, it was in fact populated by bikers, runners, and dog walkers.  I guess I should have started 30 minutes later.  Suddenly I wasn’t so scared and could appreciate the beauty around me.  Sadly, I was now 6 miles into a 7 mile run and did not have much time left to appreciate it.  I finished with an 8:43 pace, which was better than expected, considering the altitude.  Albuquerque is approximately a mile high, so I expected to have a hard time meeting my goal pace of 8:45.  The awesomely-named running coach, Jack Daniels, estimates that going from sea level to 5,000 feet, can increase your pace by up to 20 seconds per mile.  Considering I’d gone from 2,000 to 5,000 feet, then, it was impressive I actually beat my goal pace by a little bit and felt okay.  I’m thinking it was the adrenaline of running for my life.  Happy Halloween!


1 comment:

Share