Wednesday, October 2, 2013

SJ and TST Present: An Interview With Ultra Runner Dave Krupski

Dave Krupski is an experienced ultramarathoner and marathoner. His latest accomplishments include finishing Badwater, a 135-mile race through scalding 120-degree temperatures, in 14th place, and finishing first among the men in the Key’s 100. He has finished countless other marathons and races, some of them in outfits picked out by members of ROW. He is also our friend, and graciously consented to answer our questions in this special ROW post. His blog is available here.


(Dave and his awesome wife, Alex.  She is also a runner.)

ROW:    First, how are you feeling? We heard from Facebook that you had a terrible fall just five miles into your planned 100-mile trail run recently.

DK:  Yeah, that spill sucked; I basically fell down a rocky hill in a race in Georgia.  Luckily, it was just a bad bruise, but it didn’t exactly come at the best time in the race (it was Mile 5 on a 105-mile course).  Feeling better now, and finally back to running without pain. 

ROW:    That really sucks, but we’re glad you’re recovering. You are an accomplished runner, and you seem to have found your niche at the long runs. How did you decide you wanted to run a longer distance than a marathon?

DK:  I ran about 30 or so marathons from 2003-2011.  I really liked the distance (still do).  I’ll probably run the inaugural Southernmost Marathon (in Key West) in 10 or so days (Oct 12th).

 I signed up for my first ultra – a 50 miler in the Marin Headlands (those hills on the other side of the Golden Gate bridge) – in late 2010 on a whim.  I always love an excuse to get out to San Francisco for a weekend, and running on those gorgeous trails sounded like fun to me. 

ROW:    How did the first ultra go?

DK:  It was brutally awesome!  I was still living in Phoenix at the time, and did ZERO hill training for the race.  And the race had 20,000 feet of elevation change over 50 miles.  Plus, I had no clue what I was doing, so I suffered mightily after about 25 or so miles.  But I made it through, and was bawling my eyes out by the time I crossed the finish line at Mile 50.  It was the first time I felt that emotional during a race since my first marathon…

ROW:    What do people say when you tell them you are doing events like Badwater or the Keys 100?

DK:  Mostly things like “I don’t even like driving 100 miles,” or “I only run when someone is chasing me.”  I get comments like that all the time.  But now that ultras are getting much more popular, I also get a lot of people who are genuinely interested in what it feels like to run from Key Largo to Key West, or 135 miles across Death Valley.  I think more and more people are getting the memo that life is pretty cool and invigorating when you are really challenging yourself and pushing the mental and physical limits of what you previously thought was possible.

ROW:    What is your typical training week like when you have an ultra coming up?

DK:  I’ve been running around 100 miles a week – give or take – for the better part of the last decade.  For my two big races so far this year (Keys 100 and Badwater 135), I bumped my weekly mileage up to about 120-130 miles/week.  I know that sounds like a ridiculous amount, but your body gets used to the mileage as you keep improving.  Seriously. 

ROW:    Do you use a Garmin or other GPS device to keep track of distances? Plug your favorite here. We’ll link to it in hopes of corporate sponsorship.

DK:  I do use the Garmin Fenix during races, mainly so I know exactly where I am in the race and so I don’t go too fast in the early miles; there’s no point in running 6-minute miles for the first 10 miles of a 100-mile race . . . you’ll pay dearly in the later miles with a strategy like that. 

ROW:    Incorporating weight training seems to be a mystery for many runners, especially if they are already working out their legs by running. What is your philosophy?

DK:  Back when you guys knew me in Phoenix, I was single and still really vain (as opposed to only moderately vain now), so I definitely lifted weights along with running.  But even then, I never lifted a single weight with my legs; it was all upper-body, “beach muscle”-type stuff (pull-ups, bench presses, arm curls, etc.).  These days, I rarely lift any weights anymore, besides the occasional pull-ups.  I know all the Cross-Fit Kool-Aid drinkers out there will disagree with me, but if you look at the guys at the front of the pack in ANY serious running race – regardless of the distance – they clearly aren’t spending too much time in the gym.  They run.  And then run some more.  “Cross-training” for the best runners I know means “mixing up my running route,” not kettleballs and P90X.

ROW:    Chariots of Fire or Rocky?

DK:  Depends on which Rocky movie.  There are very few movies in ANY genre better than Rocky IV.  I mean, seriously, the guy single-handedly ended the Cold War by himself.  Not only did Rocky beat those cheating Commie bastards, but he did it in Moscow, and the Soviets were actually cheering for him at the end of the movie.  I cannot imagine that the Soviets made a more preposterous propaganda Cold War movie than Rocky IV

But yeah, Chariots of Fire is a pretty quality flick. 

ROW:    What do you think about the barefoot running/Vibram phenomenon for distance runners?

DK:  I wholeheartedly agree with the minimalist approach to running shoes, best articulated in Born to Run.  Because I run on concrete/roads for 99.9% of my training (which is why I suck so badly on hard trails), barefoot running really isn’t an option for me.  And I think Vibrams just look funny.  But I have no real criticisms of them beyond aesthetics . . . I’m sure my own shoes weigh about the same as Vibrams.  (I wear 5oz Mizuno flats for all my 100 mile road races; I even wore them at Badwater, and had absolutely ZERO leg/foot issues).  In fact, since switching to minimalist shoes about 4-5 years ago, I’ve been injury-free (that is, when I’m not falling down mountains :) 

ROW:    You’re a lawyer when you aren’t running. Do you ever challenge other lawyers to a running contest? That would be bad-ass.

DK:         “Bad-ass” is not how I would describe the shape that most lawyers are in.
 
ROW:    We all know how great of a workout running is.  How many calories do you get to eat per day?  And can you tell our readers how many glasses of wine that translates to?

DK:         Lots and lots.  If you took my daily calorie allowance and spent it all on wine, you wouldn’t be going to work the next day.  Or the day after that.

ROW:    You’ve traveled all over.  Where is your favorite place to run?

DK:         Death Valley.  It’s just otherworldly out there. 

ROW:    One athlete to another, do you have any advice to the Detroit Redwings on how they can shake things up to win the Stanley Cup this year?

DK:         Bring back Steve Yzerman to be the new GM.  Actually, I’m more excited for this year’s NHL season than I have been in a long time.  First off, the Winter Classic will feature Detroit and Toronto in Ann Arbor, I think.  That will be awesome.  And now that Detroit is in the Eastern Conference, they will be in the same division as Florida and Tampa Bay, which means I’ll get to see them live a few times a year.  I’m guessing a #3 seed for them, and making it to the conference finals.  Not bad for a “rebuilding” year.

ROW:    Music or no music?

DK:         I love music when I’m doing a fast tempo training run (like 10 miles in under an hour).  During a marathon or an ultra, I find that music is too disassociative, and I perform my best when I’m focused in the moment and the race at hand.   On the other hand, I know plenty of really fast marathon and ultra runners who listen to music the whole race, so, like shoe type, I think it’s really an individual preference thing.

ROW:    What advice do you have for first-time marathoners Toe-Shoes Tina and Slo Jo?

DK:         Enjoy the process.  Distance running is not really about the race at the end of the training.  If you truly embrace what you are doing and trying to accomplish, you’ll not only do well in your marathon, but you’ll look back on the whole period very fondly, and probably will have learned a thing or two along the way about yourself and what you are capable of accomplishing that can be applied well outside the context of running.   Good luck!

You can catch more of Dave's trial and tribulations at his own blog.
                

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share