Monday, October 21, 2013

Slo Jo: Feeling the Need. The Need for Speed.

Distance: 6 miles
Pace: Alternating basically 10s and 12s
Wine: None last night, but did have giant goblet of wine of unknown Box Label Saturday night

We are going to post soon about the Bisbee 1000 stair climb. As a brief preview, let me just say that Slo Jo did not exactly give the race her all. As a result, I was feeling moderately guilty about not having done my long run, or a hard run, over the weekend, and I wanted to train this morning.

Coach sent me a text saying if he were me, he'd do 12 miles alternating one fast, one jog. Coach is not me. Coach is training for Ironman.

(So this is what they wear to race. I would have thought bike shorts. That red suit is probably moisture-wicking.)

I am training, on the other hand, for one-third of an Ironman--a mere marathon. There is no long swim or billion-mile bike ride beforehand. I am just a normal desk jockey hoping for a 26.2 sticker to put on my car.

(This is what I'm gonna look like. Just need to keep training. Where do I buy these outfits? Sports Authority?)

That said, my friend L wants to do a sprint triathlon soon. I'm totally on board so long as the chlorine from the pool does not destroy my hair. Am still a girl.

(Green hair might match my green brief-shorts once I figure out where to get them, though.)

So I did not do 12, in part because I got a late start and I needed to get to work at some point. I did six. I loped along at about a 12-mile warm-up pace, then ran as hard as I could for the next mile: 9:45! Then I jogged along again at a 12-mile pace, marveling at how easy it was, then did a 9:30 mile.

BOOOOOOOM

9:30!! I was pretty pleased with that one. It is basically my fastest mile ever since, well, childhood I guess. I think there was a brief period when I was 13 or so when I suddenly got fast, and then it disappeared again. Must have been a hormone surge.

Then I did another 12-er, and the last one was 10. I even passed somebody. I just picked them off and left them EATING MY DUST. Yes, they did not know I was racing them. Irrelevant.

SUCH a good workout. I felt like I had worked hard, trained myself to run faster, and burned some calories. Feeling ready for the half marathon Nov. 3!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share