Sunday, December 29, 2013

Toe-Shoes Tina: Frozen

Distance:  6.75
Pace:  9:38
Spread between what the weather app told me and reality:  -18 degrees

It is December 29 and I haven’t worked out since a 7 mile run on Christmas day.  I’ve been skiing with Slo Jo and sledding, but I count that as playing, not cardio.  (I believe Slo Jo would quibble with me on the skiing, but I’m sort of crazy, so there you go.)  I am also up in the mountains without my scale, so all I have to judge myself by is how I feel.  And I.  Feel.  Fat.  So I decide to go for an 8 mile run.  I check my weather app, which allows me to view the predicted temperature by hour for the next several hours.  It is 3:30 in the afternoon and it tells me that the temp will hover in the mid-40s for the next three hours.  I know from prior mountain experiences that mid-40s means running tights and a short sleeved shirt.  More than anything, I loathe overheating while running and my internal temp skews warm.  I put on my running tights and my Tough Mudder finisher shirt and threw in some gloves because it looked a little windy. 

(See?  This is what my weather app said!  Totally reasonable running weather.)

I started my new Jack Reacher audiobook and began the long slow chug up the Beast.  As I neared the top of the Beast, I realized I hadn’t heard MapMyRun tell me my pace, which it is supposed to do every 5 minutes.  Then I realized I was past the spot where it typically tells me I’m one mile into my run.  Crap.  I checked the app and saw it was set for treadmill running (thanks to my 13 mile death run on a treadmill on Christmas Eve *shudder*), so it wasn’t tracking me via GPS.  I had run for 11:17 at that point, so I decided to just call it a mile and start the app properly.  (I later used my computer to determine it was 1.17 miles.)  Undeterred, I got to the top of the Beast and began my descent.  To run 8 miles, I thought I’d run to the turnoff to my subdivision then figure out how much more I needed to run to get to 8, then do half that and run back.  This turned out to be more complicated by the fact that I needed to add the missing mile to my distance, then do my calculations.  But doing math in my head makes my run go quicker, so it’s all good.  I determined I needed to run 2.75 miles beyond my subdivision and then turn back for an even 8.  That meant I had to turn around when MapMyRun said 4.25 (which would actually be 5.25, since I was missing a mile).  My muscles and joints felt okay, but my skin, nose, and ears did not.  It was friggin’ cold!  Usually when I run in the mountains it is closer to midday. Today, the late afternoon sun was sinking far enough into the western horizon that the forest was throwing long shadows resulting in very little sunshine.  And the wind was whipping me in cold gusts.  I reached my turnaround point and realized my skin was tingling in a bad way.  And my ears were freezing, so much that my ear canals felt like little ice caves stabbing into my brain. 


(When these beautiful caves bore into your skull they are painful.)

I’ve been cold on runs before.  The Tough Mudder was this past February and I’m pretty sure I finished it in the early stages of hypothermia.  I did the race with my friends, KO Kennedy, Peppy, and Obstacle Racer.  Phoenix in February is usually pleasant.  But it is less pleasant when you begin the 12.5 mile dirt course with an obstacle called “Arctic Enema.”  It consists of a giant container lined with plastic, and filled with ice water.  To keep it icy, they continuously dump ice into the container all day.  The layer of ice cubes at the top is a couple inches thick.  There is board in the middle of the container that goes a foot or two under the ice water.  You jump into the ice water, then swim under the board, pop up on the other side and attempt to haul your frozen, shivering butt over the opposite edge of the container.  Arctic Enema is among the most horrifying sensations I’ve ever experienced.  As I emerged from under the board, I heard this weird gasping/grunting sound and then realized it was involuntarily coming from my mouth!  To top it off, the wind was unusually robust that day and we were drenched from the Arctic Enema to the end of the race.  Every time we started to dry off, the Tough Mudder course obligingly dumped us into another water obstacle, though thankfully just regular water as opposed to ice water.   When they handed me my finisher’s beer at the end of the race hours later, my hand was shaking so badly my beer sloshed out onto the ground.  Party foul. 

(Why did I do this?  Oh yeah, bragging rights.)

So I suppose it was appropriate I was wearing my Tough Mudder shirt today.  I was cold in a different way, but every bit as uncomfortable as I was in February.  Whereas in February my entire body just felt extremely chilled, today my exposed skin and extremities were stinging cold.  My core was warm; in fact, I was sweating through my shirt (to keep myself warm, I tried running faster, but that just resulted in more core-sweat and did not help my extremities).  But beyond my core, I was icy cold.  My leg muscles never felt warm, causing some mildly alarming tightness in my hamstrings.   So I caved.  At 6ish miles, I gave up and called Husband #1 to pick me up.  I managed to make it about .6 more before he found me (then gained another .15 when I mapped the un-tracked part of my run).  I climbed into the car, grateful for heat.  The car thermometer said 37 degrees.  What the WHAT?  Where was my mid-40s temperature?  I checked my weather app:  it said the temp was 36 degrees, 28 with wind chill factored.  And I was the dummy running in a thin t-shirt and tights.  28 degrees is a far cry from mid-40s!  Astonishingly, when I stripped off my running clothes, my shirt was soaked through with sweat, even though my skin was bright red and still tingly.  The shower burned that red skin, but I didn’t care.  The heat felt divine.  Tomorrow I will run again, adequately prepared with long sleeves and a hat. 

(Really, it seems dangerously inaccurate for this app to simultaneously tell me that the current temp is 28 degrees and that I should expect it to be 46 degrees until 6:00 tonight.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share