Monday, January 19, 2015

TST: Missed it by THAT much!

Distance:  13.1
Pace:  8:24
Seconds by which I PR’d:  43
Seconds by which I missed my goal:  5

The PF Chang’s Rock n Roll half marathon was yesterday.  Last year I wanted to break 2 hours, a goal I smashed with a 1:50:47 finish.  When I got done celebrating that, I realized that running 48 seconds faster would have brought me below 1:50.  So that was my goal this year:  break 1:50.  My recent 13 mile nightmare shook my confidence a little bit, though.  And I realized that last year I was already in the taper phase of my marathon training, whereas this year I am just ramping up to my 20 miler.  So this might not be my year.  That’s okay.  Anything under 2 hours would be great.  That was what I thought until my badass ultramarathoner friend Dave Krupski assured me I could do a sub-1:45.  Say what now?  Nope.  Not me.  I’m keeping my expectations low.  This led to a message exchange in which I told him I’d like to take advantage of his coaching services to run a sub-4:00 marathon next year.  (Dave has founded a coaching program called Zwitty Ultra Endurance Coaching, which you can find at www.zwittyultra.com.)  Dave replied sure he could help me, but rather than trying to break 4 hours, I should shoot for a Boston qualifying time.  Once again, say WHAT now?  I laughed at him and then looked up my qualifying time.  Oh.  I’d have to run a sub-3:40.  Hm.  Is it endorphins or is that within reach?  I’d have to train.  Like for real speed train.  I’d have to give up more boxing workouts in favor of more running and drop about 10 pounds.  But.  Hell.  If I could run a full 5 seconds per mile faster than I ran my last half, could forever say I’d qualified for Boston!  Trying not to get my hopes up for 2016 goals, I just said I’d see how this half marathon and my next marathon go.  Of course, I was already planning my Boston strategy in my head and had recommitted to my goal of a sub-1:50 half. 

Back to the race.   After my terrible awful no good very bad 13 miles a couple weeks ago, I wanted to do this race right.  I had a plan (go out at 8:30s, drop to 8:15s at mile 6-7).  I made sure I ate some simple carbs the days leading up to the race.  I had a half bagel instead of skipping breakfast.  I hydrated by drinking lots of water and a bottle of Pedialyte the day before.  I put my timing chip on my shoe the day before and triple-checked it was the right part.  Oh, and I have new wi-fi headphones that are covered by a headband I plan to use for Napa.  The Rock n Roll would be my testing ground for that setup.  When I left the house Sunday morning at 6:45, I was ready!  My friend E-Bay met me at my house and Husband #1 dropped us both off. 



(My shoes!  One with my timing chip correctly placed and one with a little plate reminding me that not all pain is significant.  It is a quote from Scott Jurek's book that gets me through tough running moments.)

I was planning to stick around and watch two of my Ragnar teammates (Peppy and Go Pro)  finish their first full marathon, so I decided to check a bag this year.  I have to say, I am amazed at how easy that process is and will now do it every race.  E-Bay and I met KO Kennedy, two of her friends, and another Ragnar teammate, Sparky, at gear check.  One of KO Kennedy’s friends was assigned to corral 4, so we all decided to head up there except for E-Bay, who wisely decided to start around slower runners so she wouldn’t feel pressured to go out too fast.  I’ve never started in a corral that reflects my true estimated time (I usually go back so I can pass people all race).  It was nice.  Way less waiting around and we were off before I knew it.  This is my first major race with a GPS watch.  It went a little nutso and told me I was running 7:15 for the first half mile.  I just ran comfortably, loosely, letting people pass me, confident I was not running that fast.  True enough, I ran my first mile in 8:28 – the plan was in effect.  I settled into that pace and just planned to enjoy my music for the next couple hours.  I ran negative splits for the first six miles with mile 6 clocking in at 8:11. But I forgot that miles 7-8 are a slow climb followed by a steeper climb in mile 9.  This did not help my pace, which dropped to 8:30, 8:22, and 8:35 for miles 7-9.  The course crested a hill at 9.3 miles, so mile 10 was back up to 8:22, but I was tired.  Miles 11 and 12 were 8:29 and 8:37 respectively.   I’m glad I had my watch because there were no mile markers for 11 and 12, which would have been totally demoralizing if I was relying on markers to know where I was.  My watch said I was at 1:41 (no seconds were displayed, so I wasn’t sure how close I was to 1:42) when I hit mile 12.  1:49 was still possible!  I gave it everything I had and managed to run mile 13 in 8:08.  I sprinted that last .1 as fast as I could (according to the watch, it was a 6:48 pace).  But, alas, it was not enough.  I finished in 1:50:04.  It was better than last year, it was a PR, but it did not start with a “1:4.”   AAARGH! 

Just past the finishing line, a woman vomited right in front of me.  In fear of my own stomach upset, I willed myself not to look.  I collected my medal, a water, a Gatorade, and a banana in the finishing chute and got to the gear check.  The great thing about starting and finishing so early is that the crowd is minimal.  There was no line to collect my bag or for the portapotty where I changed into my dry clothes (my race clothes were so wet I had to wring them out).  I was spent.  I called Husband #1 and told him there’s no way I could have run it 5 seconds faster.  Sure, I’d stopped at a water station to take a salt pill, but without it I may not have been able to run so fast at the end.  Who would ever know, right?  Well, I know today.  My legs are fine.  A little tight and stiff, but I was still able to coast through a boxing class this morning that involved pulling a tire while sprinting and doing 120 squat jumps and 30 burpees. Clearly I could have raced harder.  Although I do have a 20 mile run on Thursday, so I guess it’s good I didn’t kill myself in the half.  Yeah.  That’s it.  I was saving myself for my training run . . .



(Me and E-Bay at the finish.  Note how my bib says "TOESHOESTINA."  Too bad I was wearing my Newtons, not my Vibrams.)


The after-party was fun once I was in dry clothes and drinking my free beer.  KO Kennedy and E-Bay crushed their goals and were pleased.  I did not see Sparky after the race, but I think he was pleased with his race, as well.  We hung around and watch the Wallflowers perform at, literally, a distance of 20 feet from Jacob Dylan himself.  Then we went to the marathon course to watch Peppy and Go Pro finish.  By then, the temperature was well into the mid-70s and felt much hotter because there was sun everywhere and no shade or cloud cover (my sweaty clothes had caused condensation to form inside my plastic gear check bag – gross!).  Oh man, watching those marathoners turn the corner into the finishing chute brought back memories.  Most resembled zombies, as I’m sure I did, painfully lurching toward the finish.  It was very interesting to see them turn that last corner.  Some pepped right up and ran the last .1 with a bit of spring back in their step.  But some couldn’t manage to alter their tortured gaits as they hobbled to the finish.  I cheered for all of them because I remember how invigorating it was to see friendly faces when I felt the lowest.  Then Go Pro whizzed by, looking strong and happy.  Peppy was right behind her.  She was running like she was finishing an easy neighborhood jog.  They did not look like miserable zombies.  I hope they are happy and proud.  They deserve it.  


(The Wallflowers.  Up close and personal.  My 17 year old self is, like, so jelly.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share