Thursday, January 8, 2015

TST Gets Her Groove Back

Distance:  18 miles
Pace:  9:58
Vomiting Incidents:  0

After quitting a 17 miler at 15 miles and becoming violently ill from pushing myself too hard through 13 miles, I really needed a good run.  Before Saturday’s pity party/pukefest, I was pretty confident.  After running hills at altitude in the bitter cold, I thought my upcoming 18 miler in flat, temperate, practically sea level Phoenix would be a walk in the park.  Then, after discovering that altitude training did not, in fact, give me supernatural running powers, my confidence was shaken.  But more than that, I was not looking forward to the run.  At.  All.  I’ve reached a comfortable place with my long runs.  I know they will be long and tedious, but I look forward to the solitude and repetition and, most of all, the accomplishment.  I had none of that going into today’s run.  I was filled with trepidation.  I was afraid it would be miserable.  I was afraid I would get sick.  I was afraid I’d just want to give up.  Oh yeah, and I had to get up at 4:00 am so I could get ready, make the family’s smoothies, and my coffee would have time to settle before I started running at 5:00 am.  I spent the last half of Wednesday actively dreading my run. 

The dread was far worse than the run. When my alarm went off at 4:00 am, I almost went back to sleep.  I drank coffee, then set my alarm for a 15 minute snooze on the couch while my coffee kicked in.  My dog decided this was an invitation to lick my face every time I closed my eyes.  No snooze for me!    


Okay, okay, I can't resist you.  Even when it is 4:10 am.  

I left the house right on time at 5:00 and made myself start running without thinking about it. I told myself to shoot for a 10:30 pace and just take it easy.  Not surprisingly, I ran my first mile in exactly 10:00.  But I felt fine, so I tried to back off a bit and just sank into the rhythm of the run.  The moon was very bright and still high in the sky (though intermittently hidden by scattered clouds).   The weather was cold, but not biting.  I was generally comfortable.  I planned to stop at my boxing gym 11 miles into my run, so well over halfway.  About mile 5, I started feeling kind of tired.  I realized I was hunching my shoulders, which was affecting my breathing and making my upper back sore.  Plus my audiobook was not engaging.  I branched off from crime thrillers to listen to “The Husband’s Secret,” which I found on this article recommending books for long runs.  It is narrated in a delightful Australian accent, but I found the story moved a little slowly at first.  And I was growing increasingly concerned this book was going to be generic chick lit.  I almost put on my music, but really wanted to save it for the last portion of my run.  I’m glad I stuck with the book.  By the time I got to the gym, I was actually a little sad to switch to music. 

My average pace was 10:07 when I stopped at the gym. I refilled my water, peed, said hi to my coach and to Yogi (from my Ragnar team), switched over to music, and set right back off.  “Only seven miles,” I thought.  And I was not being sarcastic.  I was over the hump and loving the run.  With music playing, my average pace dropped to 10:04 then 10:03.  It was just me and the music and the sun coming up.  The remaining miles ticked away.  I call this experience "Zen running." I wish all runs were this way.

I hit 16.85 miles when “Fight the Power” came on and I decided I felt so good, I’d run fast for the remaining 1.15 miles.  I flew through the last mile (considering it was mile effing 18!) in 8:52, which dropped my average to 9:58 – a hair under three hours total.  And I felt good!  My hamstrings and hips were tight, but I could have run farther.  I peeled of my clothes and barely remembered to weigh myself before jumping in the shower.  Other than the scary dehydrated number I saw on Saturday, this was the lowest number I’ve seen on the scale in my adult life.  But I felt much better today.  Score!  Once in the shower, the first streams of hot water hit me and I screamed “OW!  AYEEEEEE! SON OF A . . . MOTHER FUCKER!!!!”  I can only conclude that a half pound of my weight loss was skin that chafed off along my sports bra.  Then I giggled because I realized that, technically, all men are sons of people who . . . um . . . had relations with their mothers.  It wasn't a very inventive or obscene curse.  Then I put on pajamas and worked for a bit from home before dragging myself to the mall to reward myself with new (and smaller!) pants.


And now, several hours later, other than the fact that my bra clasp is rubbing right where my sports bra stole my skin so I keep awkwardly and inappropriately adjusting myself, I feel good.  A little tired, sure.  But I’m wearing smaller pants and I’ve kept down all my food (a delicious grilled cheese – god bless a 2,097 calorie burn).  I’ve even wearing heels!  Kitten heels, but they are still heels!  I’m happy because I got my groove back.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share