Monday, November 24, 2014

Toe-Shoes Tina: Music Monday (Or . . . how embarrassing can one playlist be?)

Distance: 5 mile tempo run
Pace: 7:50 (oh hellz yeah)
Temperature:  48 degrees

Shoes!  I got new shoes!  I decided to give Newtons a try because they uniquely help you stick to a mid-foot strike.  They have rubber lugs under the ball of the foot to remind you to land there and (supposedly) to help propel you forward faster.  I tried them on last year, but ultimately went with Brooks because they were more comfy and my feet were bruised (after running 13 miles in Vibrams).  But I’ve been curious ever since.  They are the most expensive pair of shoes I’ve ever owned, so I took a leap of faith by ordering them.  I know Brooks work for me.  I got through training and a marathon with no joint pain.  Why would I change things up now?  I shared my trepidation with Mo Jo and she pointed out that perhaps I had no joint issues – not because Brooks are magical – but because I was properly trained. Cool.  We’ll go with that.  I woke up (with no alarm) at 5:30 am on a Saturday because I was so excited to try them out. 

(Each Newton is 7.5 oz of awesomeness!)

By 6:30 am, I was fully caffeinated, dressed, and ready to go.  The sun was not yet up.  My favorite time of day to run!  I hit play on “Shake It Off” by Taylor Swift and took off.  (Reserve judgment until you see my full play list below; there will be plenty of opportunity to judge me, I assure you.)  Indeed, I was “lightning on my feet.”  I did my first mile in 7:40 and thought it was too fast.  I tried to slow down a bit, but running just felt so good!  Between the shoes and the cold and the music, I was in a groove.  I ultimately finished with an average pace of 7:50 and was delighted.  I’ve been struggling to keep my short runs in the 8s, so I was concerned I lost all the speed I built up last training season.  Turns out my speed was just in hibernation during the summer heat.  So I had a great run, but that’s not my main point today.  No, today marks the day I publicly disclose my running playlist and thereby fully humiliate myself (good thing TST is not my real name). 

My playlist is always evolving.  With the exception of Eye of the Tiger (to which I start every race, but frequently skip on training runs) and Good Vibrations (Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch have gotten me through some miserable runs), the songs get rotated off my list as I tire of them.  Then sometimes I miss them and they come back.  I must also note that my running playlist is not representative of my general taste in music.  Sometimes the most embarrassingly lame song in the world turns out to be great for working out (no joke, I had a Gangnam Style/2 Legit 2 Quit mashup on rotation for quite some time).  With no further ado, TST’s current running list:

Timber – Pitbull featuring Ke$ha                   Work B*tch – Britney Spears
Don’t Stop the Party – Pitbull                         Wobble – V.I.C
Give Me Everything – Pitbull                         White Lines – Grandmaster Flash
Shut it Down – Pitbull and Akon                    Burn – Ellie Goulding
The Beast – Tech N9ne                                   Ruff Ryders’ Anthem – DMX
Bailando – Enrique Iglesias and Sean Paul    Good Vibrations – Marky Mark
Blood N My Hair – Andre Nickatina             Check Yes, Juliet – We The Kings
Bleed It Out – Linkin Park                             Come Get It Bae – Pharrell Williams
Sandstorm – Darude                                       Eye Of the Tiger – Survivor
SexyBack – Justin Timberlake                       Turn Down For What – DJ Snake and Lil Jon
Shot Me Down – David Guetta                      Fight the Power – Public Enemy
Remember the Name – Fort Minor                 Black Betty – Ram Jam
Can’t Hold Us – Macklemore                         Lean Like A Cholo – Down AKA Kilo
Can’t Remember To Forget You – Shakira    Shake It Off – Taylor Swift
Can’t Be Touched – Roy Jones Jr.                  Move Shake Drop – DJ
More – Usher  Die Young – Ke$ha
The Monster – Eminem           

I will now go hang my head in shame.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share